March 21, 2011
Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it...huge wet flakes! "It can't be covering the ground." I thought. Then I got closer to the window and saw the street covered by a few inches of the white stuff and lots more coming down! Yes, it is March in Long Valley. I've seen more than a handful of "surprise" snows in March and dare-I-say April in my years of living here. Yet I never expect it.
Life throws us curveballs every once in a while. What "surprise" has left you breathless, reeling, or shocked recently? One thing I try to do when dealing with not-so-welcome life events is to remember what brings me comfort. What do you like to do when you have a few spare moments or few spare dollars? Reading? Enjoying a latte? Taking a walk? Chatting with a friend? Treating yourself to an ice cream snack? For me...I love going to my favorite craft store to browse the aisles and think of all the things I could make with these yummy supplies. I leave feeling inspired and motivated.
You already know what brings comfort to your life...you naturally reach out for it when feeling despair or frustration. Perhaps your children bring a balance that keeps things in perspective. Maybe talking with your mother always brings you back to center. Do you listen to inspirational tapes or smooth jazz?
Whether we are 5 or 50, there's a place in our lives for a "lovey". It's the person, place or thing that brings you back. My daughter's lovey is a pink blanket that is no longer anywhere near pink, nor would most people call it a blanket! (It's pretty shredded.) But she loves it and it brings her back to a place of comfort. Identify your lovey and have it ready for those times when the rollercoaster heads south or the sky drops 4 inches of wet snow on your daffodils.
No comments:
Post a Comment