Simple Pleasures
September 26, 2012
Ahh, the joy of crunching leaves! Or a child's infectious laugh. How about a gorgeous sunrise or sunset? Each of these simple pleasures, if we take the time to notice and appreciate them, can bring such joy to our lives.
I know that life brings many demands, pressures and stresses. I have days when I'd like to pull the sheets up over my head and "call in sick". Everyone has demands on time, money and resources.
One dear friend wonders how she can possibly finish her "to do" list. Another lovely lady carves out family time by doing work-related projects in the wee hours of the morning. I sometimes have this overwhelming feeling like I want to crumple into a heap on the floor and cry. There's so much to do and not all of it is pleasant. The pressures of life sometimes seem to have the upper hand in the daily battle.
Take for instance, those who are dealing with illness, caring for an elderly parent, experiencing loss, dealing with behavioral issues with a child, dealing with betrayal, stressing over unemployment, battling depression or handling interpersonal conflicts. On TOP of the regular day to day duties, nearly everyone has some extenuating circumstance which provides additional pressure.
Most situations are passing and temporary. As the saying goes, the only constant in life is change. I can't tell you how many times I've found refuge in that!
When the proverbial dark cloud lingers over my head, I employ a number of tools to keep myself from ending up in a heap on the floor. One such tool is appreciating simple pleasures.
I LOVE the gleam of sunlight through colored glass, so I keep colored Mason jars in the kitchen where they'll catch the light. As I discussed in a previous blog, MUSIC can be a mood changer for me. If I hear the right song...I go from gray to sunny! I love to watch birds in the yard and enjoy their songs. I love the scent of apples. The feel of soft velvet and silk in my hand makes me smile. How about the taste of gooey cinnamon rolls? Or, OR coconut cream pie? Can you tell I'm getting excited? Then there's the hug of a child who just wanted to be close. The "no conversation needed" eye contact with your spouse. All of these are simple pleasures which add so much joy to my life.
I am sure your list of joy-inducing things is as diverse as the universe. For some, a wagging dog tail is all it takes. For others a good workout brings a smile. Perhaps discovering a treasure in an antique store gets your adrenaline pumping. Others find joy in a glass of good Cabernet and some aged cheese. (That sounds pretty amazing to me too!) A walk on the beach or by a stream might be a mood booster for you. It can be as diverse as knitting, rock climbing, playing piano, photographing nature or mountain biking...whatever it takes to add a spot of happy to your day.
When you are feeling down, try pursuing some simple pleasures to take an active role in diverting your attention away from negativity. These need not cost a dime. They need not take much time either. Just a conscious decision on your part to find pleasure no matter what the situation.
Do you have favorite simple pleasures? Please share some with me!
No comments:
Post a Comment