Ever think about your list of people you want to emulate? Ever have someone high on the list, only to be disappointed when bad behavior quickly drops them to the OTHER list?
There are a lot of people I respect in one way or another. Don't get me wrong, I don't easily hand out the gift of respect. But for sure, there are many in this world worthy of respect. I am talking about the kind of respect that means I value their opinion, I think they make good choices most of the time, I treasure their company, they provide me with inspiration, or I look to them for leadership in some area of my life. This goes beyond basic respect for someone as a human being.
Consider the friend who stands up for what is right, even when it is not the popular way to go. It takes courage to go against the "popular" crowd. This brave soul who defends the subject of gossip when she has more to lose than gain is deserving of my respect. Integrity is a wonderful thing.
Then there is the person who puts themselves in harm's way through their employment for the betterment of society. This could be someone serving in the military, a police officer, firefighter, social worker, teacher, nurse, and many more. When someone willingly takes on the risk of dealing with dangerous situations, and continues to act with conscience outside of those duties, they are worthy of my respect.
I have a couple of friends who inspire me with their steadfast faith. They respond to each of life's curveballs with testaments of faith. They remind me without saying a word that God is good and in control. These moms teach their children to be kind, compassionate and selfless. I appreciate the example and respect their choices during a time when body piercings can be more important to teens than helping a lonely classmate.
What about the person who reminds me that life is better when you laugh? Yes! As long as the humor is not at someone else's expense, I LOVE to laugh. There is so much humor in the antics of my blue tabby cat, Sapphire. I crack up when my son turns an ordinary moment into a musical, out of the blue! I still laugh out loud when recalling a funny story told by a friend. There is a time for seriousness, but also much value in being nutty.
I like to think that I look for the positive in people. I remind myself that everyone has positive attributes. I'm reminded of a superficial example I heard many years ago...a group of men were conferring about the unattractive qualities of a woman walking by. One man in the group said, "Did you check out those great legs?"
It pisses me off that some cannot see gorgeous green eyes, a fabulous haircut, great bone structure, a fit body, or pretty hands because of other perceived flaws. These are totally surface examples, but it can and should be carried to other qualities. The beautiful spirit of a social worker who makes sure a child is safe before quitting for the day. The fantastic energy of a kindergarten teacher excited for the opportunity to bring her students the gift of reading. Do you notice the gentleness with which a vet cares for your aging pet? What about someone who disregards one's own safety to ensure the last resident is removed from a burning building?
Perhaps we can find parts of people that we can respect. I respect the dedication with which several friends persue fitness. I have respect for those who are consciously trying to reduce their carbon footprint in the world. I am impressed when an acquantance sets a goal and achieves it. Rather than feeling depressed because it was her and not me, I use others' success as proof that it CAN be done! It's encouraging to know that real human beings, not just Hollywood celebs accomplish awesome things. I love that there are people in the world willing to work for animal rights, prosecute human traffickers, track down wanted criminals, dedicate their career to medical advances. One person cannot champion ALL of these areas, but all of us valiantly fighting to reach our goal translates into major world-wide progress toward positivity.
So I ask you to think about those whom you try to emulate. Can you find someone to inspire you in the area of healthy living? Who is your kindness example? Who shows patience when you are ready to burst? Who is your creative inspiration? A spiritual guide? Demonstrate respect toward those people without putting them on a pedestal. It need not be an endorsement of ALL aspects of the person's life. Try to expand your circle by finding the best qualities in all people in your part of the world. I'll bet it changes your feelings about some "iffy" folks.
No comments:
Post a Comment